Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hunger Games

Lately I've been weary about jumping on the bandwagon with popular book series. I think having been horrified by how horrible the Twilight series was that I stopped listening to what the popular media has to say about books and just started focusing on books that I thought I would enjoy, regardless of how popular they were to the general population.

Then Hunger Games came out.  I ended up purchasing the book at the San Diego airport after a rave recommendation of a friend.  When I returned home, the book ended up on my stack of books to read, but I never opened it.  Then the movie was released, and a coworker asked me to go see it with her when we travel for work in a couple weeks.  I was finally going to have to actually read this thing.

Sometimes, the popular media is right.  I thought Hunger Games was awesome.  Katniss is smart, clever, and way more awesome than she thinks she is.  The love story with Peeta was sweet.  I love how Katniss is so modest about herself.  There's no pretense with her.

I think buried somewhere in the book Suzanne Collins is making a statement about our world today.  Katniss's horrified reaction to finding out how much food and services are available to her at the touch of a button sounds suspiciously like a condemnation of the excess of the First World.

I can't wait to read the second and third books!

No comments:

Post a Comment