Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Something Blue by Emily Giffin

After getting sucked into the hype of this book's prequel, Something Borrowed, I fell in love with the characters and therefore had to read this one.  Something Blue picks up right where Something Borrowed leaves off.  So much so that the books could have been one long book. 

Something Blue is about redemption.  The popular girl in high school grows up  to realize her manipulative, bossy ways won't let her survive as an adult, even if it did get through most of her twenties.  In Darcy's case, it took her fiance to leave her for her best friend for her to begin to reevaluate her life.  Even though Darcy is a beautiful, vivacious brunette, it's harder to hate her than you'd think.  After revealing she's pregnant, taking a leave of absence from her glamorous job, and moving to London, Darcy becomes a "real person."  She realizes the behind her pretty face, she actually has empathy, kindness, and the ability to form real, lasting friendships with other females that aren't based on competition.

Even "perfect" women screw up.  Even bratty, self-absorbed women can remake themselves.  The book's ending actually surprised me.  I didn't see the lead-up to it that I guess actually started in the first book.  At first I was disappointed that Dex and Rachel didn't show up more in this book, but as I kept reading, I found myself interested in Darcy.  During book 1, she seemed like such a superficial bitch that I didn't feel that bad that her fiance was cheating on her. 

I actually just finished another one of Emily Giffin's books, but I'll save that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment